Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Captain's Adventures in Mexico

This is the explanation for the lack of posts. Vacation in Mexico.

This is me smoking a cuban at 9 in the morning. It was after an early morning swim in the Gulf. Notice the sincere lack of contributing to GDP. Also notice the consumption of a non-US good whilst enjoying the services of a non-US country. I call this my "Enjoying the Decline" face.


This is in Chichen Itza, one of the largest Mayan archeological finds. I have always wanted to go there since I was a kid. The purpose for my pose is to blend in with the skulls carved into rock behind. They were all very smiling.

This is a building.

This is the main pyramid in Chichen Itza. I thought you could climb it, but apparently it is frowned upon by the local federales. No touchy.



As with all vacations your Captain takes, it was more adventure and exploration than lying around a beach doing nothing. However, if you do go to the Yucatan peninsula, I strongly advise NOT going to Chichen Itza on that sad account it takes;
1. 3 hours to get there because the Mexicans drive real slow.
2. When you get there they have unfortunately allowed the local vendors to sell all their trinkets and crap completely ruining the experience for you. And you might say, "wow, how can only a few vendors ruin such a grand experience." NO, trust me, there are literally hundreds of them harassing you the entire time. Imagine Glacier National Park or Yellowstone with hundreds of people constantly hounding you to buy a shirt no matter where you went or what mountain you'd climb.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken Pizza.
Were you able to climb the pyrmid or have they closed that off now?

Anonymous said...

You let yourself get bossed around the the federales? For shame.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to get to the top of that pyramid before they decided that traffic was...killing the pyramid?...something they already restored from nothing more than a hill with rocks on the side!! that's seriously the extent of how much the spaniards made them dismantle the pyramids.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me - its not like its in its pristine original state, its already been rebuilt for chrissakes!

Anyway, I would not be giving my money to Mexico any time soon until they treat their cartel problems with some measure of seriousness. I vote with my wallet!

Anonymous said...

haha hey is that the moon palace? it looks like it, I was there a few years ago, but I went to Ek Balam. Chechen Itza was 2004, I think it was 05 or 06 they roped off the big pyramid.

she said: said...

"Pretty ridiculous if you ask me - its not like its in its pristine original state, its already been rebuilt for chrissakes!"

Maybe they just got tired of rescuing old people from the middle of the stairway.

When I was there they had a metal rope stretching the whole length. The incline is steeper than you would expect. Even for people in good shape. I bet the "ruining the pyramids" was just a convenient excuse.