Monday, May 05, 2008

I Hate Blackberries

They tried to give me one, and as far as I can figure out the purpose of Blackberries are;

1. To keep track of you when you're not at work.
2. To give you more work when you're not at work.
3. To give you something that tries to be both a phone and a mini-laptop but accomplishes neither.
4. To piss you off when you have to type on those freaking little keypads.
5. To give you something to make you look important when in actuality you're just telling the world, "Hey, my company just pissed away $500 on this thing that frankly doesn't do much that my laptop and cell phone can't."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more - for precisely the same reasons.

I finally got a cell phone about 4 years ago, forced upon me by my employer. My wife looks at my minutes and I rarely get into double digits of usage per month.

The one thing that's nice about it is when traveling in cold weather or on the occasional late night/very early morning drives into work to fix something that went bad - if there's trouble en route I can get help.

One piece of technology I love is a wireless card for my laptop - when we are oncall, we get to carry the card, which means I am free to roam as long as I have the card and laptop handy.
Freedom! It's a great thing.

Anonymous said...

Blackberries are the corporate engagement ring. When you get one, you've married your job.

I fix the damn things all day at work. The only thing they do is let e-mail addicts check their mail every five minutes. Freaking crackberries.

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. It's hilarious to see people checking their blackberries only to realize that no, noone has emailed since you last checked 30 seconds ago. They're ruining corporate communication. I will resist!

Anonymous said...

I hate Blackberries. My dad is really thinking about getting one and I've tried to talk him out of it but he says stuff like "It's almost like running a business without a computer". They are bad news, they will cause nothing except bad stuff in the future.

Any ideas how to talk him out of it before it's too late! I'm kinda louzy at talking people into/out of things. :(

Anonymous said...

I was given one. I fought. I argued. I lost. For awhile. But I persisted. (Perhaps I even whined.) And then I gave it back. I won!