Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Captain Capitalism's ADVENTURES IN FARGO!!!

Yes, Fargo.

The largest town in North Dakota. A place many of you aspiring economists have heard of but never been to.

I've been to Fargo a couple times and being within 4 hours driving distance from it, I thought it not a big deal. But I fathom Fargo to many of you out there is like "Savannah" or "Cancun" to me (neither of which I've been to, but often wonder what it's like).

So to quench your curiosity, I took some pictures of Fargo on my most recent trip to celebrate my buddy Johnny Fargo's wedding, so that all of you may come to know and feel what it's like.

First thing you'll notice is that LaSalle or Wall Street it ain't. This is the main drag of Fargo. This is down town Fargo.


And while it's flat and I meandered about a fair amount, I'm pretty sure this is the tallest building in all of Fargo.



It's a residential building I presume and by the horrible 1970's architecture I surmise it is public housing.

Now you may be laughing, but Fargo is hip. It's cosmopolitan. It, like all other major metropolitan areas has a RED LIGHT DISTRICT! This is the central hub of the district;



But something Fargo doesn't have like major metropolises is expensive gas. I recall gas being $3.50/gallon on Clark and LaSalle in Chicago. Here, smack dab downtown Fargo, gas is a ghastly $2.86.


This alone makes it better to live in than California...then again, California didn't have much going for it anyway.

Another thing that I noticed and was VERY MUCH IMPRESSED WITH IS THIS PICTURE HERE!



Can you see what I see?

Look closer!

Something a true capitalist and hater of the most oppressive form of taxation ever developed!

Look close! If you live in New York, LA, or heck, any slightly populated area, there's something missing!

That's right! NO PARKING METERS!!!! And this is downtown Fargo!

Seriously, I view this as a major advantage of Fargo over other conventional cities.

Now, of course you're saying, "Gee Captain, we sure don't see a lot of culture or cool fashion in Fargo! We'd almost expect everybody out there to be wearing mullets."

And ohhhh! How wrong you would be to say such a thing. Because the heart of downtown Fargo is beating on the cutting edge of fashion. Some people have Aveda. Some people have Ralph Lauren. Fargo has Josef's!



Now, criticism and humor set aside I will say this; Fargo does actually have better architecture than your average metropolis, BARRING New York and Chicago. Seriously. They haven't torn down all their old buildings and you get the feeling you're in a 1920's bootler, gangster movie, but on the frontier. And while you may have the impression that the people of Fargo are just a bunch of dumb Republican hicks that have mullets and Miller, if you look closer, you couldn't be any more wrong. My impression of Fargonians is that they are a higher class of people there that appreciate the olden days. Civility. Dressing up. Taking time to put on a good ol' hootinany (SP?) and instead of getting plastered at the local BoomChickaBoom Bars, my GOD! They might actually learn a dance step or two and hold a dance in a beautiful hall.


That and out of 24 dances, I was only shot down once. Sadly, the reverse holds true for most other metropolitan areas I've been to. Alas, Fargo may be old fashioned and backwards for today's world, but that is fine with me.

6 comments:

Frank said...

"That's right! NO PARKING METERS!!!! And this is downtown Fargo!"

You know, i visit Townsville quite often (my partner grew up there and has family there). It's a resonably populated area - the funniest thing i found was that if you park illegally, and get a parking fine as a result, it's $10! Here in Melbourne it'll cost you at least that to legally park your damn car!

Peter said...

Isn't that Lileks' hometown?

Anonymous said...

Yes, and Hollywood captured the essence of Fargo in the movie "Fargo".

You Betcha.

Captain Capitalism said...

Maybe Lileks is from there. He's from the midwest around here somewhere.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

And people mock the Midwest. Although my hometown (St. Paul) is relentlessly teased by the happenin' cats of Minneapolis for being *finger quotes* "square" (that may change now that it's gone and elected a Commie mayor...AGAIN), I point out with pride that the meters there are enforeced, when they ARE enforced, only until 6, unlike the MPD and their Orwellian insistence on cathing you out at 9:55.

Moreover, Fargo, at least, had the good sense not to bill itself as the *ahem* "Mini-Apple". I remember THAT ad campaign all too fondly.

And yes, I do believe Mr. Lileks is from Fargo. Another reason to be proud.

Ebony and Ivory said...

Ah Fargo, my new hometown. Having moved here from New York I can honestly say that it is like living in another country really. No running to catch my train (which is now making me fat), no incessant honking of horns and well, I could go on and on about the vast differences. I do however love that I get a ton more squarefootage for my homebuyer buck. The problem with buying a home in Fargo......insanely ridiculous expensive property tax AND "specials". Specials are charges that should be and are almost always taken from property tax (lighting, road maintenance, etc etc). Well, this town and I believe most of North Dakota has figured out a way to take even more from us. Having just purchased a new home in the $350,000 dollar range, we are taxed $6,500 per year and have a balance of specials upwards of $20,000!!!!!! And from what I have been told will most likely keep going up as improvements are done around the neighborhood.
Fargo is most definitely the most cultured city in ND and we like it well enough but if some relief from these taxes and specials doesn't come in the near future, we may just pack our bags and move elsewhere. Anyhow, just my two cents....